I have always wanted to be able to take somewhat professional pictures, of things I make for my portfolio.
I don’t seem to have the greatest of luck when it comes to taking good-looking pictures. So, a few days ago I got it in my head that I needed to make myself a light tent. I found a wonderful tutorial, using two expandable window screens for the frame, on a web-sight called “instructables.” It wasn’t very difficult to make, and I think I got some pretty good results. My model was this little pumpkin man, who was just itching to show off his good side. The best part, I thought, about this version of a homemade light tent, is that it breaks down to store completely flat. I don’t know about you, but that is a major plus! I saw the cardboard box versions of this project online, and once you had those assembled, they had to stay assembled. Since that version didn’t break down, the last thing I need is to have to find a place to store one more bulky item. Anyway, in the tutorial they used a white sheet for the diffuser fabric. Since I didn’t have a white sheet on hand, and I really don’t think I could have bought one just to hack it up, I decided to take advantage of a 60% off coupon I had from Jo-Ann Fabrics. I purchased (2) yards of a white nylon/windbreaker fabric and it worked great! It made the whole thing look professional and not homemade at all. All in all I did spend a little more than $20, but less than $30. My light tent looks exactly like the one featured in the tutorial and I couldn’t be happier with the results. Here are a few more pictures I took during the very first photo shoot.
Now in all fairness, I will tell you that I did pull the pictures into Photoshop to do some color-correcting. I am still working out the kinks with the lighting. Seems I may need some different bulbs. However, Photoshop did a great job correcting the overall yellowing that happened. After doing a little research on the internet, I found that I either need to adjust a setting on my camera [which it doesn’t look like I have] or I need to get some tungsten bulbs. Either way, I am still happy with how everything turned out, and I’m looking forward to photographing more things to blog about!